View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
@Copernicus it'll never happen, there's no need for it... besides there's cordia which is a hildon window manager for tablets.
Cordia is pretty, but honestly, I just don't see the point. Why slap a Hildon UI on top of a large capacitive screen? Existing Hildon software isn't going to support multi-touch, and has been optimized for use on tiny screens. Moreover, you lose all the software that can take advantage of an accurate (and pressure-sensitive!) stylus.

Besides, it's running on Mer, and Mer is explicitly targeted to optimize "HTML5/QML/JS". I've seen that storyline before, and I know how it ends: what you get is a product like Android.

I don't want a Linux kernel hidden deep beneath yet another glorified app launcher. What I want is a standard Linux distribution, capable of running well on small devices, but otherwise free and open to use like any normal Linux environment. Maemo is the closest I've personally gotten to that.

I just don't see Mer/Tizen in my future; I'd rather jump ship and go back to a distribution like Jlime...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: