View Single Post
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
However, this would require to set up an actual network connection between the two devices, not just a mass storage connection. I'm sure that's possible via USB somehow (I haven't checked). Edit: We have everything in house: http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_USB_networking

another idea:
The Raspberry PI model B comes with 256MB of RAM. A minimal Debian with X-Server and a lightweight WM (opebox, fluxbox, icewm etc) would leave us approximately 200MB of free memory. Assuming that we don't stream any data to our Raspberry that gives us additional 200MB of RAM connected via a 20-25MB/s USB interface. No idea if that would actually be faster than the swap partition when routed via an additional TCP interface and it should certainly be used with a lot of caution but I think it's worth a try.
Yea, USB networking is behind the main idea written in post 1 - mass storage mode was just mentioned in context of playing videos from N900, with would be more effective in a way that Raspberry Pi plays (decode) them, reading from N900 memory - due to bandwidth limitations.

As for using Raspberry RAM as faster swap, using X display forwarding on some pleasant resolution, would consume a part of said bandwidth. Still, it *should* be faster, ho ever, I agree than it require practical investigation. BTW, using superfast RAM over USB makes me - somehow - sad

Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
Bandwidth is not a problem since I suppose that external hw only receive a video stream like a film.
So 2-3mbit (H264) could be sufficient for an 800x480 video stream

I think that Apple's AirPlay works in the same manner, and we can try do it only on software (since it is only software even on Ipad2).

We need to record Omap gfx framebuffer with at least 30fps and encode that stream with a fast cpu based encoder (i.e. MJPEG to use low cpu) or with a dsp based encoder.

If you stream by WiFi what is displayed on N900's lcd, the external player (VLC on PC, Rasberry connected to TV, SmartTV ...etc) becomes like a Wireless HDMI for N900

A starting point: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...01&postcount=9
General idea behind using X export display (and listening for it in Raspberry Pi), is that we get *real* display/desktop, not just a "video" of what is happening on N900. This way, we can change resolution (for example, on 1280x800 monitor, use it's native resolution), and don't suffer from all remote desktops pains.

Also, it seems that all (or 99%) tools to achieve it are already available. Of course, your suggestion got sense and I'm thankful for it - yet, it generates high additional overhead (generating quasi-video stream on N900 is resource intensive), and much less efficient than "real" display. So, IMO, virtual desktop like-solutions should be left as fallback, in case of lethal problems with exporting display.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-01-09 at 23:02.