View Single Post
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by iball View Post
I build Linux-based web servers for a living (and I make a damn good living at it) and the path Nokia is on in regards to their repository server is mind-boggling.
No one in their right fcuking mind would EVER have a staging server sitting out reachable to anyone on the internet!
All of our staging servers sit behind two firewalls from two different companies linked to two different circuits from two different ISPs and run off dual power supplies connected to two different electrical circuits. IN Europe we even ran off two different VOLTAGES because we were really paranoid. (one 110v the other 240v)
And none of that is taking into account the off-site mirrors we have setup in case the entire colo disappears in a cloud of C4 explosive.
This sh1t ain't hard to get right the first time.
In some respects if your staging servers are not publicly accessible then they're not facsimiles of production infra which in my mind is what staging should be - as close to production infra as possible, that way any problems in production can be reproduced or your new staging build can be tested in a production-like environment. External access is often a crucial part of testing, without it you're on a wing and a prayer when you release to production having completed internal-only testing.