View Single Post
@nman
Thanks for checking with root. As for not choosing "mass storage mode" you're of course right - yet, even if one choose to, it *still* works after executing
Code:
osso-usb-mass-storage-mode-enable.sh /dev/[encrypted-device]
MyDocs get just "replaced" on desktop by encrypted volume.

By the way, do you have any idea, how to properly modify osso-usb-mass-storage-enable.sh, to mount lun0 as read-only?

@NIN101
Unless good enough reason (with technical rationale) is provided, I'm not going to re-use Nokia way "because they know better". Anyway, on my device, vanilla osso-usb-mass-storage-enable.sh already set MMC for simultaneous access (that is, don't unmount it), I'm using it like that from the very beginning, and haven't run into *any* single issue.

As for "more than obvious" - maybe for You yes, but while writing instructions, I'm perfectly sure that it was good to mention it. Also, AFAICT, you haven't had idea if "hidden volume protected" option will work or not (well, at least during our last IRC conversation), so I performed extensive research on every possible combination.

Also, not respecting "read only" tick from TrueCrypt GUI is *not* obvious in any way, as You can select it even, when you've already tick'ed "do not mount". So, it's a little glitch in TrueCrypt itself - it's allowing to tick option, that is meaningless, if You do not mount filesystem (so, no read&write flags).
---

Still don't see why You're afraid of using it simultaneously, but it's up to You. IMO, the reasoning is exactly like nman said - they were afraid of "casual users" writing to the same file, simultaneously, from 2 sources.

After all, no one is forced to have simultaneous N900/desktop access to TC volumes - heck, I'll even add a note on how to do it exclusively, for less tech'y people.

/Estel

// Edit

And please NIM101, if You quote, don't cut it in a way that changes meaning I've said: "writing by hand *or* saving as sh script".

Well, as for merit itself - in your command, you're grep'ping 1 value, by providing another 1 value - IMO pointless for any other reason, that setting it up for other program/GUI. Also, i don't see any reason to save scripts for executing 1 short command with 1 short value, like
[code]osso-usb-mass-storage-enable.sh /dev/mapper/truecrypt1/code]
...or so. Using auto-completion via TAB, it's much faster to write by hand.

Of course, it's up to everyone which method to use, that's why I've informed about *both* in tutorial. Lets bee "free as in freedom" to choose best method for ourselves
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-01-17 at 23:27.