View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by knuthf View Post
I use the ON/OFF button on the TV, the sound, and input channel. The rest is on the Set-up box, or the DVD player or even the VHS - and some of these devices are "non-original".
Yes, I've already had inquiries about mapping some buttons to one device and other buttons to another device. Lots of universal remotes have the ability to, say, map most of their buttons to a VCR keyset but have the volume controls "punch through" to a television keyset. I really haven't thought hard enough about it yet, to be honest...

So, do you have a "learning mode" planned?
Well, the "learning mode" available on many modern universal remotes requires the ability to receive IR data. The N900 can only send IR data, so it isn't possible to do. (At least using the built-in hardware. The LIRC guys get their data by connecting an IR receiver to a PC; I suppose you could hook up a USB IR receiver to the N900, though I don't know much about USB host-mode... I'm not really a hardware guy. )

And a quick device selection?
Well, I would like to use the volume rocker to advance back and forth through the list of favorite keysets. (The favorite keysets page itself was intended to be a fairly quick way to switch between keysets, but it is still kinda cumbersome.)