View Single Post
Posts: 146 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Lisbon, Portugal
Well, digitallook seems to be good old WML as I remember it and is rendered by Opera Mobile 11.5Labs on my N9. Twilightwap I'm not so sure, the WAP link and the Web link both point to the same address, may be XHTML. As for good old wap.nokia.com, it became mobile.nokia.mobi and is completely different.

I absolutely do not miss WAP. One of the best things Opera has ever made was invent Small Screen Rendering to enable the first generations of connected phones to parse HTML sites and show them in a WAP-like fashion for those very basic phones. Developers did not have to do a special WAP site (just some adaptations to their main HTML site) and more importantly, did not have to pay the operators to put them inside the operator's internal network. That prevented Mobile Internet becoming walled gardens, at the rate of one garden per operator.

You can test Small Screen Rendering by bookmarking a site on Opera Desktop and selecting on the properties of the bookmark "Show in Panel" - on the sidebar you should now have a panel with the site rendered in SSR. "Single Column View" in Opera Mobile is similar but not quite the same thing.

@tso: reached the same conclusion at the same time, I see....

Last edited by tigas; 2012-02-22 at 03:35.