View Single Post
Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
Just out of curiosity, I want to ask xxxxts what it is more precisely with the n900 that doesn't cut it anymore. Ok, I understand the specs alright, well, at least the cpu is getting a little outdated (think the gpu part is still pretty strong though!).
But if you are the person that doesn't care whether the phone (urrhm, tablet) is somewhat thicker I can't see what it is that you're missing in the n900.
I will stick to my n900 because there is nothing out there that has a linux based OS that is as close to the real thing as the n900. The ssh client and ssh daemon are full featured and the shell feels like the real thing with python, perl, debian packaging and all that good stuff.

For me I gotta say, I have just bought the asus transformer prime tablet, its a droid and after a couple of weeks I have to say that in no way near android feels as good as the n900. Its not real linux I gotta tell you, its just the kernel in the bottom, all else above feels completely alien to me.
I have seen a few physical keyboards also, and they all feel like crap in comparison to the n900.
Look at all the other nice plus'es to brag with that you've got;
Stereo speakers, a table-stand, customizable status led, integrated skype (all other skype "apps" I've seen is a joke).
You got REAL multitasking. You got Qt for development.
Up to 10 desktops. Widgets who are so customizable that they can look like just almost anything (not like the blocky boring iCrap icons).

What the hell? What more could anyone want. There's just nothing out there that cuts it if you take the n900 as a baseline.
#1 I am on AT&T, without 850 the speeds are very poor.
#2 From the moment I open the camera shutter to the camera application fully opening and ready is around 8 seconds.
#3 No new applications are being developed for Maemo 5, fMobi is most likely one of the best applications on N900 for Facebook and it does not even come close to competing with it's iOS/Android competitors.
#4 I don't have the most BASIC of things, for example: SPELL CHECK. Word had that back in the 1990s! What about voice recognition? Decent navigation?

It just isn't cutting it. I am not one of those guys who likes to have all the newest stuff and neatest stuff. But don't try to tell me that I am doing just fine when I am a poor speller and I see my friends texting with spell check or using voice recognition, or navigation that tells me what the traffic is like. I can go on for a while.

The hardware needs updating and so does the software, apparently Nokia's idea of that was the N9 which is a joke (they obviously agree).

I just wish Nokia would step up and make a phone that actually competes again (like the N900 did with the iPhone 3GS) hardware wise and put the same effort into the software. When I got the N900 Nokia was the #1 phone manufacture in the world, RIM was #2, Apple was #3 - I doubt Nokia is #1 anymore and there is a reason for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post: