View Single Post
Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
In this episode of Steve Litchfield's "Phone Show Chat" #127, he has a guest from Engadget (Myriam Joire), who describes in great detail what the problem is, a 'coating' of sorts that does indeed chip and peel away.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/downl...how/psc127.mp3

Start listening at the 17 minutes mark. He says he has confirmation from somebody in charge of industrial design at Nokia that the N9s (and Lumia 800 and 900) are not solid colour, but actually coated in "clear-coat". Very interesting. I'd like to know if this applies just to the black, or to the other colours as well.

Can't help but feel a tad cheated, after remembering Marko's N9 launch speech, and the whole "colour runs right through" part. I suppose it still does, but it means your beautiful phone can end up looking like it's got peeling skin like Goldmember
As I said earlier. A hardening "coating" on polycarbonate is a normal process to prevent scratches. All polycarbonate headlights on cars have this coating.

Nevertheless, if this is true about the N9 and Lumias, I really do feel cheated. One of the finer design aspects of the N9 was the solid (throughout) polycarbonate housing. The idea that my N9 is made out of a single block of PC, carved and shaped, and that's it. It is a very nice idea. Then some genius at Nokia decided to taint it with some "coating", I mean the whole design aspect of the N9 is flushed down the toilet.