View Single Post
I have an N900 that's just a few days old. I was looking for a way to mount a Windows share on it. I've done this before on a desktop Linux system with a "mount -t cifs ..." type command. When this didn't work on my N900, I realised that the stock device does not have an appropriate kernel module installed for CIFS. I found this thread with the .ko files in the first post and the mention that they're also in extras-testing; so I went to look in the repositories.

I found kernel-module-cifs in extras-testing, which I presume is the one that relates to this thread. However, I also found kernel-modules-maemo in the plain extras repo, a package whose Provides: list has a whole bunch of "kernel-feature-XXXXX" modules one of which is "kernel-feature-cifs", and according to the description "provides kernel modules for the enhanced Maemo 5 kernel 2.6.28.10". So I'm thinking maybe I want this instead, after all it's better to install stable stuff from extras rather than uncleared stuff from -testing or -devel that might "brick my device", right? And looking at the contents of the package, it's a ton of useful-looking .ko's (including cifs.ko and ntfs.ko) being installed to /lib/modules/2.6.28.10maemo-omap1/, loads more in fact than I've already got in the existing /lib/modules/2.6.28-omap1/. Seemingly I would have to install this "enhanced" kernel (2.6.28.10maemo-omap1, right?) to go with it; I had a quick look for that but it wasn't immediately clear where I can get it from and the talk of 'flashing' makes me doubly nervous about a bricking occurring. I don't want to overclock my device (not yet anyway).

Anyone got any comments about the difference between these two CIFS modules, and the reasons for choosing one or the other?