View Single Post
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
To be honest, I don't see any sensible argument, why creating device from scratch should be more fail, compared to Your ideas. At least, we have some predecessors (Open Pandora, Raspberry Pi, etc), while no one *ever* 100% reverse-engineered device like N900.
Exactly. You're comparing failed (maybe not PI, lets give it some time to mature) projects vs never reached open-source maemo at any stage. Sure go for Nemo or Openmoko, see how this is fruitless? With Fremantle you got _everything_ working, not 65% +/- one component or two...

If, by some unbelievable miracle, You would have enough money to buy/reverse-engineer/whatever way open N900 "Stack" fully, it would be much better spent creating new device, running mainstream debian, archlinuxor whatsnot. For that money, probably 2 or 3 of them, in straight line
Why not both? Once you got control (source) of maemo you can go whichever way you wish (more debian? why not, arch? your decision) How about you come up with amount you need to provide us two working/cool devices??? I bet with 1/10th of the cost we can come up with new chinese stars of reverse engineering to open up the rest (that is needed for FREEmantle at least), they are still cheap while VERY productive.
You're saying that developing own device is "we will bring You heaven" - to be honest, IMO ideas of fully opening N900/N9/whatever proprietary device You have in hand are even more unrealistic - basically, it just *won't* happen, ever. Probably, no matter how much time/money You spent on it.

don't get me wrong - as You probably noticed, I love N900. Yet, projects like CSSU/kernel-power are best we can achieve. There is no feasible way to go through/around closed hardware-specific bits. Ask any developer with brain and common sense. Period.

/Estel
Thinking oldways. Think in new ways, open your mind for real possibilities. Don't claim failed projects banish all open thinking, they failed for their own reasons. This is what we need in council, oppenness for new ideas as old gave us fu..hit.