View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by IntrepidAnitpodean2 View Post
How did you get GPSBabel to install on OS2008? I've been to the project page (https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_...release_id=952), found the 2206 and 2007 versions so I tried the latter. It downloaded by Application Manager told me it was an incompatible package.

GPSBabel is going to be nearly essential for me in three months time. Having access to that tool as I walk was half the reason for buying a N810.
Ok, I confess that I didn't install the gpsbabel version in the Garage. I went to the Debian repositories and downloaded the Sid armel package. I then used dpkg-deb to extract everything into a directory on my N800.

dpkg-deb -x gpsbabel_1.3.3-2_armel.deb gpsbabel-install

This creates a directory called "gpsbabel-install" with all of the files.

As root, copy gpsbabel-install/usr/bin/gpsbabel to /usr/bin and you've got GPSBabel running under OS2008.

A bonus of doing it this way is that you now have all of the GPSBabel manual as well. Use the file manager to browse to the gpsbabel-install dir and then double click on any of the html files in

gpsbabel-install/usr/share/doc/gpsbabel/htmldocs-1.3.3/

Hope that helped you! I assume in the guide above that you know how to become root. If you don't you'll have to search the forums for help.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: