View Single Post
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hello, I have the N900, which I have found is a great GNU/Linux device.

However, I am having problems with the "apt-get upgrade" and
"apt-get dist-upgrade" causing my phone to not boot up. Since it doesn't brick, I can just flash the firmware again, but this got really annoying since I had to do it two times already.

I also had another problem with installing Backupmenu, because it was missing some library: liblzo2-2 I think.

My final problem that I have is that Application Manager forces me to put my N900 in Nokia Suite mode and expects Nokia Suite on my PC. FYI, I don't use Windows anymore, I only run Debian Linux on my PCs. Sorry, Nokia, I'm not going to use proprietary bloatware on my PC at least.

I know I'm just jumping straight into Maemo. I'm excited. I've only had a "meh" experience with Cyanogenmod. android was a horrible bloated OS, and that's why I wanted a GNU/Linux system. It was either N900 or OpenMoko Freerunner (sadly only 2 choices, how disappointing in this day and age), and of course I took the device with the physical keyboard, which is only now $200 on Ebay, and I couldn't even afford the GTA04A3 with case and camera and stuff. Why bother? Why did I disregard the N9? Capacitive touchscreen. Every screen in the future should at least be an active digitizer with capacitive touch. My body would explode in confetti if there was a slightly smaller Galaxy Note device with a physical keyboard and use a free GNU/Linux OS. That would be beyond amazing.

Anyway, I think I was on the right path... Here's what I did:

1. Flash to PR 1.3, and flash the eMMC update (only once).
2. Somehow manage to update CSSU without Nokia Suite (I forgot how.)
3. Install rootsh
4. Put entries in the repositories, such as extras-devel, to try and install Backupmenu
5. Update, upgrade.
6. Problems start happening.

That was really frustrating, but I can't let some issues like that boggle me. I am learning after all, and I know there are people here who have been hacking with this thing for 4 years now.

So my final question is that is there a new users guide for people who may be "power-users" at GNU/Linux and want to quickly set up the N900 with all the updated software and as much FOSS replacements as possible? Thank you.