View Single Post
Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
It doewsn't have anything to do with chroot, neither any package was broken. It's jsut that, due to bad (Maemo, not Debian - on last few pages of this thread You've listed swap settings You should use, both Maemo and ED benefit from it) swap-related settings, + swap on eMMC instead of microSD.

This made device unresponsive for too long during Debian's apt-get upgrade, and rebooted device. In turn, this FCKD Your ED image. You may try to fix it with fsck.ext* /dev/mmcblk*p* (put number instead of *, corresponding to ext type You've used for Debian image, and provide proper storage/partition numbers) - remember, to try it on *unmounted* debian image.

In case fsck doesn't help, You must start with new image from scratch. Unfortunately, it's common thing to happen - although, after unexpected reboot, I perform fsck from backupmenu before booting (I got ED started at every boot, via event.d script), thus I've never had image corruption that would destroy my ED image.

Generally, if - after crash - You fsck image before running Ed again, 99% of times You'll be fine. ho ever, if You mounted it already and tried to proceed, it may be screwed beyond repair. Just try, and report back.

/Estel
Thanks for your detail reply...

Decided to be safe, so, I deleted current image file....then copied over the file again from my microSD card....however, it started copying file and since it's such a large file, I stepped away from my N900 for a few minutes...came back and I saw the backupmenu again!

So, something happened and N900 rebooted again....

I choose backupmenu option to do fsck, it found some errors, did it again, and this time no errors......then rebooted...

N900 booted up OK to Maemo...I see that 108.3MB of image file was copied over before N900 had crashed...

Copied over estel image file again from microSD to N900...tried ED and voila! it is working again....

Regarding swap, you are saying that I should use eMMC for swap space, not microSD, correct?

What settings would you recommend for this? (you mention that I had stated my swap settings on recent previous post, but I think that was probably someone else....)

If I have swap set up OK, then it should be OK to do 'apt-get upgrade'? (upgrade was downloading about 220MB....)

Thanks!

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Last edited by ArchiMark; 2012-05-13 at 18:56. Reason: Added question at the end regarding apt-get upgrade