View Single Post
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Novosibirsk, Russia
Ajalkane
Thank you for direct and extended reply and your great app. Just very short comment in last hope to reverse your judgement.

Actually your proposed model is much more powerful and complicated than proposed by me. My suggestion is based on common approach to building rule-based interfaces like mail filtering. And it in fact either doesn't affect at all or affect positively your goals:

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
- ProfileMatic is always in the background running. Therefore I must strive for it to be light-weight. I should strive to minimize memory and CPU usage.
The less rules you process the less power is eaten, so ability to stop applying rules improves battery life.

- Power of expression for user so that he can make rules that do what he wants
Better again: default mode remains unchanged and expressiveness improves.

- Easy for new users. The UI should be as simple as possible, while allowing creating rules that do what's necessary to make life easier.
Default mode remains and adding <Don't apply rules below> action doesn't either complicates UI much nor adds any confusion. This concept in fact present in many UIs for rules definition like mail filtering in mail clients or packet filteing in routers setup.

- Convenient to create different kind of rules.
Don't see this changed. You may define everything as before + a little more