View Single Post
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Back in May 2005 I was still at school, and having bought an iPod mini recently, I was working on a Java-based podcast downloader using Gtk+ to fill it with content from Linux (archived news). I quickly realized then that Java wasn't very common on Linux Desktops (it was not GPL'd yet, and the license made it hard for distros to ship it) and hard to install with the Java-Gnome bindings, and so I began to learn Python (that project is still around today). At that time, I recently switched to the then-new Ubuntu (was using Slackware before), and was reading Planet GNOME in Blam. In fact, I still remember reading lots of postings there about the 770 (a quick search turned up this and this - my search also found something related: Nokia adopting KHTML for S60 in June of the same year). (It wasn't until early 2008 that I bought a N800 and got into Maemo app development, mostly because I was curious how well my application worked on Maemo - Mika ported gPodder in early 2007, probably after Tuomas suggested porting it to the 770 in 2006. It was even used as an example on how to port Gtk+ Desktop apps to Hildon.)

This is also interesting: maemo.org as of 2005-05-26 (Web Archive) - with the old logo and the FAQs stating how the name "Maemo" was created using pwgen

Happy Birthday, Maemo! Has been great fun so far

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post: