View Single Post
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ London
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I started one ages ago, but it looks like I forgot to link to it in my thread
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...579,158.027344
It was originally linked in another thread, which disappeared.
No wonder hardly anyone was signing up!

I had a better approach than that thread.....
I explained all my ideas in detail in that thread, but then that thread disappeared

Oh well, at least this idea has got some kind of momentum again, better than nothing!
If you want I can totally delete/remove the map I started.

Jalyst, I think that all credit should go to your original idea, and people who took part on this positioning experiment should recognize that.

I would expect that those ideas and approach you came out with were much better than this one I found (I tried initially with Nokia maps website, also tried to use Nokia Pulse as a way to invite people to chek in as part of a group but failed, then, I found google maps as the simplest, but also flaw way to get people posting their N9s on the map covering as many users as possible without restricting too much, well, you need a google account to do it though).

As it has been said, it is a poor way and it is prone for statistical innacuracies, and duplicated entried, although, I have to say, it is still of some use to help us to have a snapshot of where the N9s are globally. Somehow not what we should expect based on the original list of countries where it was distributed.

If your initial idea is still worth evolving, maybe we could move forward this and find a better replacement to the "old google map" approach. It this post can be useful for that, I will think that my effort was not fruitless.

Anyhow, it will be difficult for people to come back a post their N9 in yet another map, so maybe we should find a way to make it attractive to the owners (some social location based app? where N900 and others could join while keeping the numbers for each handset separate for statistical puurposes, etc. That is why I was so keen on Nokia Pulse, initially, but clearly it wasnt design for that purpuse, and you cannot create groups where people can join unless the original creator invite each N9 owner one by one. I could not do that for obvious reasons...