View Single Post
rsync is available for OS2007 and OS2008. For 2008 it is in the testing maemo extras repository.

go to http://gronmayer.com/it/ select the 2008 button if it isn't already selected, feed rsync to the search box, and install the given repository.

I also searched for "becomeroot" and installed that, plus the open ssh bundle which gives me ssh in and out. (can get the ssh bundle from downloads.maemo.org search for ssh)

If you install the bundle then it asks you for a root password. THen you can ssh in using that password. You don't need to install becomeroot.

If you install becomeroot you can use the built in xterm to get a prompt, then "sudo gainroot" to become root.

For backups I've done them 2 ways. One is to use the tablet's backup utility and then use scp or rsync to get those to my linux box. The other is to rsync whatever to the linux box. (I don't bother rsyncing the sd cards there's no original content on them)

Of the two, the tablet backup utility is the best for "damn the tablet has just died" or "time to reflash" incidents. Because when you reflash, if you have that backup on one of the sd cards the flasher will restore if you wish. So all your settings are back.

However, it only backs up the settings and the bits under MyDocs. (there are a bunch of dotfile directories there, ls -aR is enlightening.) So if you have saved things to the main userdir rather than to "Documents" or "Videos" those will not be backed up by the backup utility.

Note that nothing will restore the software you have installed after a flash. You have to reinstall the lot yourself.

Zebee