View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
So who got most friends in the community will get one for sure?
Evaluating someone's community (non-coding) effort first would be more suitable and not biased by promises or personal relationships.
No I think his point was it's not leaving it to a small subset of people....
But to the community as-a-whole to EVALUATE who are among the most valued community contributors.
It'd probably be trickier to set-up/organise properly, but that would be the ideal longer-term aspiration.

For developers:
If someone ported or wrote a program for his/her own deeds I care less than if s/o started a community driven/requested project for the sake of all maemo users.
Good point.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
On the other hand, maemo-community@maemo.org is specified as official communication channel, where TMO is not (!). Also, there were 3 answers, but question was open for few weeks already, and mailing list - where much more people are subscribed - was open for presenting any other point of view.
Personally, I don't think TMO is a good place of any serious discussion re Community - see all "future of Maemo" threads, with it 50+ pages and 90% of nonsense content. I like TMO, but for such thing, I treat is as place to announce things + eventually receive feedback - mailing list seems *much* more competent for meritocratic discussions.
I don't agree with the high regard you have only for mail-list discussion when it comes to serious issues.
Smells too exclusionary & elitist to me, but I DO understand your rationale for thinking it's more suitable.
Personally I think there should be a review of what's considered to be "official communication channels".
And the outcome of that review should reflect the opinion of the community as-a-whole...
Not attacking you personally, I can see some sense in your viewpoint, I just don't totally agree.
But anyway this is getting off-topic, perhaps there should be a separate thread for it...

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-05-31 at 04:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post: