View Single Post
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
At the beginning of this thread, I asked for a chess game that can play games from chess books. Newcomers to this site will be surprised to find that I made this request literally years ago, and a decent way to do so was not achieved and the makers of Miniature essentially paid no attention to my repeated requests in this direction, and no decent chess display program was achieved for the N900. Well, a decent chess game display program has finally been achieved for the N9. You can actually play moves, take back moves, and examine variations. What an amazing thing.

The program is called Josemobile, or perhaps Jose mobile would work better on the Nokia Store where I found it a short while ago. It might have been discovered earlier by me if it had the word "chess" somewhere in its name!

It may have some flaws that I haven't yet discovered, but it at least satisfies the minimum request that I have been making over and over for years, and I chose this thread to commemorate this fantastic result because it boasts about a "killer" chess program to be developed, but of course "killer" did not include the ability to play moves from books and examine variations.

For those who follow world chess, you will probably be happy to learn that Vishy Anand recently successfully defended his chess World Championship title against Boris Gelfand, who I think might actually be better. Anand was defeated late in the short match after a bunch of draws, but surprisingly came back to win the very next game. The match of slow games ended in a tied result, and this automatically led to a series of fast games, which was won by Anand.

Unfortunately, this trend, of matches for World Chess Champion to end with fast games and thus the winner being the best speed player, is quite common these days, which almost feels like the players are throwing dice to decide who wins the championship. This is the sort of trend that worried Bobby Fischer when he was sane and alive.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post: