View Single Post
Hello all! I am a tablet newbie and this is my very first post here.
I have had my tablet for a few days now and already flashed my tablet to the newest version (with my tablet being shipped with the 42-19 version). I learned a couple things in doing this and thought to share them with you.

The first is common sense but use the backup/restore utility to backup your existing version. I failed to do this and the first day I got my N810 I loaded it with my contacts and when I upgraded to the 50-2 version I lost all those settings as well as the user settings (language, country, Wifi connection settings).
I have a Kingston Mini SD 2 gig card and I have it installed in the tablet. It works fine in my testing and now I perform my backup to to that drive. When you restore you can select or deselect the items you want to restore such as contacts, emails without restoring the software version.
When I backup to the external memory I can move my backup to my desktop for safe keeping I also perform a new backup with the new version. The N810 utility allows you to have multiple backups just remember to name them accordingly.
I can also vouch that removal of the battery from the N810 for extended times does not cause lost data or lost settings.

When running Vista on my desktop and connected to the N810, the two memory drives show up on my desktop. I can move data between the desktop and the N810 as well as between the internal and external memory. While connected via USB you can not access the files on either internal or external from the N810. Even file manager will not show the files. It took me a while to find where my files went to using the N810. Once the USB was disconnected lo and behold the darn files show up.

I have had numerous problems with the email client. I can setup accounts just fine but connection is very slow and when I close the email window it won't open again without powering down the N810. It is kinda frustrating and I don't know what the cause is but accessing email from the Contacts or Communication tabs.

I got pretty frustrated with the email part that I installed Modest (in Beta) and it works perfectly now I wish I could learn if it possible to change or remove the list in Contacts. Under that tab it has email but it opens the N810 default program, I have to go under My Selection/Communication and there it has two emails, the second one is Modest. I select it and Modest starts up.

I wish to also clean-up or remove other tabs that I don't use such as Skype, Rhapsody (even though I didn't install them these are just the program tabs). I've tried researching Maemo for how to on menu or tab customizing but I haven't had any luck. Searching brought me here to this site.

Sorry this is so long but I thought if someone had a trick to doing this this is where it would be found and it gave me the opportunity to share my tips.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The Following User Says Thank You to bgilly For This Useful Post: