Thread: Sad Realization
View Single Post
Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
This is what I like to do on my mobile,

Surt web using Opera, open multiple tabs and in the middle of replying post at many forums. Oh there is text comes in, "save" the "snapshot" of my Opera in the background and reply to the text, and open back Opera and continue to surf internet/reply-to-post from all my tabs opened previously.

My task above definitely fail on Android/iOS, it will automatically kills Opera..which will make Opera re-launch its application and reload back the web...lost all my reply-in-the-making

On Symbian or N9 I used, it never fail to deliver my task above..

So..my task...Serial Tasking or Multi Tasking?
For the record, this is not true on iOS. Doing all of that will cause no problems with it. I have a large amount of appreciation for the N9, but iOS gets stepped on way, way too much on this forum. That's the kind of blindness that lead to Nokia's downfall.

On the iPhone, Opera (if coded properly) will be taken out of the run queue, a snapshot made of the memory, and returned when you return to it. Form filled and all.

And also, most of the multitasking things people talk about here work great on an iPhone. You can surf while on a phonecall. You can listen to music in the background. Webpages load in the background. Applications get installed. You can have GPS running in the background while doing something else. Skype calls will come in. The average user will be hard pushed to find anything multitask-wise that an N9 can do that an iPhone can't.

The iOS kernel is a normal Darwin kernel and is fully capable of everything the Linux kernel can do. Apple has just decided to restrict access to process management to a set of APIs for specific types of tasks (for battery management reasons). My iPhone can easily beat my N9 when it comes to battery life in normal everyday use.

The only things I've really come across myself is SSH and IRC, which can lose connection after some time in the background.

The Following User Says Thank You to Setok For This Useful Post: