View Single Post
^+

also, there *is* such thing as Optified Linux System - it's not invention of Nokia's engineers. Things like Optware existed looong time before anyone ever dreamed about device like N900.

[off-topic - in my own thread, lol]
By the way, optification isn't worse, that can happen. Recently, I've set-up OpenWRT in my WRT54GL router AP. WRT54G* family have 4MB flash storage (except for some devices from first series, utilizing 8MB), which, after having basic stack installed, leaves You with whopping ~1 MB of free space. To overcome this, I did SD card mod, with random card I got in my drawer (2GB) one - the thing remained, how to actually make things installed there work properly (including kernel modules, libraries, etc).

After reading lotta hell about extroot, block-ext, pivot-root and pivot-overlay - being regular ways of doing this in OpenWRT - I decided to screw that, and... Create /opt partition, where my SD card is mounted. I've also crafted small script, that, after installing any package to --dest /opt parses opkg files<package> (opkg'ish equivalent of dpkg -L <package>), and creates symlinks in original root filesystem pointing to /opt.

And You know what? It works flawlessly, being *much* less PITA, (and performance efficient) than any alternative proposed solution.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: