View Single Post
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by hxka View Post
@don_falcone, what exactly do you mean by 'hacking'? 'Cause I don't see any reasons for hacking nolo, everything can be done with recompiling kernel and/or u-boot.
NOLO still loads the kernel from an mtd partition, which in itself is not a problem (one could still completely free the rootfs partition for other things, such as swap).

Ideally NOLO could/would be replaced by U-Boot so that the whole NAND flash chip (i.e. including the partitions for kernel, oops, initrd, etc.) could be available for other tasks.

I'd be happy if we could create a ready-to-flash image with rootfs on an (appropriately sized) ext2 partition (/, /boot, /usr, etc.) of the eMMC and a separate /home (ext3 or ext4) partition.

The current rootfs partition on the NAND could be either used as swap, or as a sort of "executable cache" (like SSD/HDD hybrid -> NAND/eMMC), or just left empty.

Obviously this would mean that the whole THUMB2 issue would be rendered moot (space would not be a problem anymore). Perhaps more important (but also more difficult) would be a HARDFP recompilation of the whole of Maemo

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post: