View Single Post
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
We already started to discuss these in Council but didn't reach a conclusion because some members were absent. Community members are sought to volunteer to join a group based on their expertise. Unlike the situation where Nokia/Nemein provided support, we will need community members with a variety of skills.

Some (personal) comments on your list:

Legal - includes IPR and OSS licensing issues. Also includes creation of non-profit entity. May include governance. I have volunteered to put together this group.

Infrastructure - we called this Migration. We may need to streamline and trim down the infrastructure, and careful consideration must go into that.

Steering - I don't understand. Do you mean something like a TSG?

We also had an additional focus - Finances. We need money to start this and then an estimated budget to guide activities. Will people trust a community member to collect donations to start the community project and how should that be done - Paypal, bank account, etc? Also, request sponsorship from Nokia and other external entities, contracts with hosting company and other IT vendors. NielDk has offered to lead this focus.

I also think we need to decide on a mission statement, etc. If we ask people to donate, then they will want to know what they are supporting.

Maemo is currently a registered trademark of Nokia and the domain name is owned by Nokia. Our previous request to transfer the domain name was denied - I don't expect that to change. We have "maemocommunity.org" as a backup.

What is needed to run the community website is a non-profit and hosting, which depends greatly on what is migrated. Hosting something is relatively easy and inexpensive, but it gets complicated as we start adding some of the functionality. I would estimate the start-up costs for the most basic landing page to be something on the order of 600-800 USD.

It sounds like we will need a vbulletin license to migrate the forum content. If not, we can start all over again with a new forum.
Wikis are easy (I think).
I agree with not using garage any more.
we can use maemocommunity.org or some other alternative
I suggest a community OBS shared with Mer/Nemo (MeeGo OBS is going away soon)
Maybe a shared OBS Mer/Nemo/Fremantle/Harmattan? This would benefit much more (Harmattan apps)

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post: