View Single Post
Introduction:

I tried to get Homeworld SDL working on N900 and after solving a couple of compilation problems the game appears to run fine (but it could use some overclocking when there's a battle going on). Out of the box it was impossible to play, because the control scheme stands in the way. I had to rewrite a bit of the camera code, add support for the Fn key and remap a few actions, and the result is quite playable.

Screenshots:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=13

How to start:

1. Install the original Homeworld on your PC. If you're not on Windows, Wine works well.
2. Install 1.05 patch (download it from here, for example).
3. Create a folder, let's call it "Homeworld".
4. From the installation directory copy the following files to our "Homeworld" folder: "Homeworld.big", "Update.big", "HW_Comp.vce", "HW_Music.wxd".
5. Download the binary (or this one if you want the Thumb version), extract it and put in that folder too.
6. Place "Homeworld" in N900's memory (it takes some space, so MyDocs might be a good place).
7. Open the terminal and navigate to the game directory: "cd /home/user/MyDocs/Homeworld/".
8. Run the game: "./homeworld".

Some notes on the controls:

My goal was to get the whole tutorial working and I have accomplished it, so hopefully the rest of the game can also be completed. Using the second level of ships' right-click menu is a bit tricky. You have to press an option from the first level and then drag the stylus/finger to the second level when it appears. Only after that choosing an item will be registered. With keyboard shortcuts available I don't think it's much of an issue though.

Touching the screen acts as left-click, but there are also some more touch controls. Camera sensitivity can be adjusted in the options.
  • Fn + Tap -> right-click menu
  • Fn + Slide -> rotate camera
  • Fn + Ctrl + Slide -> zoom camera

Touching the bottom of the screen to bring up Task Bar is close to impossible, so I added a keyboard shortcut.
  • Fn + Space -> toggle Task Bar

There are not enough modifier keys on N900, so A is used as Alt.
  • A -> Alt

The first keyboard row is used for number keys, so nothing surprising here.
  • Fn + Q, W, ..., P -> 1, 2, ..., 0

The second row provides function keys.
  • Fn + A, S, ..., Enter -> F1, F2, ..., F12

Last but not least, a few important otherwise inaccessible keys.
  • Fn + Backspace -> Escape
  • Fn + Left -> Home
  • Fn + Right -> Tab

Some actions are still unavailable, even with those modifications (tactical overlay and canceling of orders are the most interesting two), but you can easily remap them yourself in the options menu

Updates:
2012/06/28 - Fix for external mice
2012/12/02 - Fixed some graphical bugs, FPS in the terminal, Thumb build
2012/12/03 - Improved Thumb build (GCC 4.6.2 -> 4.7.2)

Last edited by gidzzz; 2014-03-20 at 17:28.

The Following 47 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post: