View Single Post
Originally Posted by gidzzz View Post
If it works for you, you're lucky. I'm getting "Could not start LAN IPX or LAN TCP/IP" after selecting player name.
Nah, same here. I was too fast - multiplayer replied with "cannot" just after clicking menu, while LAN allowed me to go further - I ceased further testing, as I had no second Homeworldsdl instance to test with. Now, when trying, i get same results.

There's no Caps Lock to turn on the tactical overlay or Tilde to cancel orders, but those can be remapped in the options menu (I'm using X for the overlay and N to cancel orders, for example).
Right, absolutely forget about it. while ability to control "special" bindset (FN, alt...) via config file would be neat, you're right, that it's very minor, if not necessary at all, in this case.

I wouldn't judge that based on the CPU usage, because on my PC the original Homeworld uses 212% CPU (over 2 cores) just sitting and looking at the mothership. The truth is that this port runs on OpenGL ES v1. What worries me more than full CPU is what I often see in htop: even 40% of it is consumed by the kernel, not Homeworld.
I had no idea. What do you think, is there any place for optimizations?

Also, not related to optimizations, but related to gaining FPS - would it be possible to run at (You can laugh at me) 400x240 resolution, stretched to full screen? Of course, visual quality would drop, but we would still keep native pixel ratio (1 pixel become 4 pixels).

From my experiences with desktops, it often helps a lot - on my notebook, after some tweaking, I was able to comfortably play Witcher 2 with moderate graphic settings, thanks to running it @ 840x525 resolution (half of my 1680x1050 screen, stretched). It gave me stable 20-25 fps with moderate-to-high details, and, surprisingly, quite pleasant visual experience (much better than higher, but non native 1024x768) - while at 1:1 native resolution, it was ~3fps at lowest settings.

Scratch the above, if it's impossible to run HomeworldSDL in such low resolution - it just was my first though, when I encountered more serious stuttering during really massive battle in skirmish with CPU.

I think it's possible to retain most of the old controls. There would be two Alts (A and the real thing) and some details about the camera. It's nice being able to connect/disconnect a mouse or a keyboard at any time, but if that fails, I could also post a separate build with unmodified controls.
Sounds nice (especially first option)

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: