View Single Post
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
@gerbick
I now exactly what you mean about NOKIA dropping the ball when it came to Maemo, so much potential squandered only to be resurrected and squandered again.

I never really understood why Symbian didn't get Hildon either, I guess there was a reason but imo it's a shame NOKIA didn't make it happen.

Don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting for a minute that NOKIA isn't guilty of a few howlers but I haven't seen anyone point to some concrete evidence that suggests Symbian sales were just about to collapse without Elop's intervention.

I do know if I were the head buyer at Vodafone or O2 on Feb 11 2011 I would have immediately phoned my contact at NOKIA and told them they could stick any open orders for Symbian phones right where the sun doesn't shine.
I don't know if people forget way too fast, but only two years ago there were discussions about Nokia constantly being unable to execute - anything really. Their store was a mess, the Nokia PC applications for the store and music was a complete mess (and still is), several different sync programs, the N8 that never came, Symbia^3 that never came, etc etc. and last, but not least, the N9 that never came, and when it finally came, Elop has just entered the scene and axed it for all practical intents.

For a brief, but very accurate analysis of what went wrong (and right) read this:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...d_right_an.php

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post: