View Single Post
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
For me, the hardware aspect is currently the most intriguing aspect of this development.

A team of, say 100 to 200 talented people with resources can develop a base OS, UI etc but 'plopping' that into hardware is a completely different matter.

Resourcing the manufacturing process is a big hurdle. What does a mobile network/carrier do when it wants to release a budget branded smartphone? Ties up with the likes of ZTE or Huawei?

The alternative approach is that a start-up, like Jolla, develops something so ground breaking, such a market disruption, that a big player wants 'in'.

Nokia's third pillar ("future disruptions") seems to have crumbled and blown away as dust particles. Ok. the Chairman eluded to a plan B....android?

I think it is unlikely that Nokia could be a hardware partner, especially with the MS connection and financial ties that locks them in.

I have read a few posts suggesting that people do not care about the 'specs' so long as it is an open source device. I disagree. This is not a voluntary project for enthusiastic hackers. It has to have appeal.

I am no smartphone businessman, but a tiny start-up needs either a very big brother or a niche in the market. The latter requires a high-end smartphone with great specs, functionality, individualistic and good margins as sales volumes will be inevitably low.

Last edited by jpfsn; 2012-07-10 at 21:32.