View Single Post
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Which is quite not precise, as "within 6 months" could also mean announcing new election tomorrow, to be held in month from announcement.
It is very precise. That is exactly what it means. It's it the Chair's duty to ensure an election happens not later than 6 months from the date of the election of the council.

This is why having a chair is important, and although it's usually been +/- a week or so, some of the delays last time were caused by not having a chair who was therefore responsible. (Obviously not having the requisite number of candidates was also a major reason, and one which is considered within the process).

I think it's good idea to ask "Founding Fathers" about what they had in mind, while writing this "within 6 months", and write it more precisely on wiki - current form leaves too much chances of excluding interpretations.
I'm not sure what alternative interpretations there are, and cleaning up the text (technically) requires a referendum.

As for Council running in parallel with Board of Directors, personally, I don't see reason for it, and I can't recall such option being proposed.
Imagine it as two houses of parliament/government. The "upper chamber" has longer terms, and so different duties, to the "lower chamber".

AIUI, the Board is responsible for (OTTOMH, YMMV, E&OE) some of the tasks Nokia were previously responsible for. Primarily, that means finding funding sources for maemo.org.

The Council would be responsible for representing the community to the Board, and - with six month terms - be more reactive and deal with less financial, more operational tasks.

You're probably right, there probably isn't a need for both governance structures - but I'd be wary of switching straight away.

AFAIK, three options were discussed:
So I'd propose option 4:

4. Election for new Board when the community is happy with the proposed governance model. Councillors can stand, and next Council election can still happen as before (not later than 6 months from the last election) if it needs to.

As expressed in my comment @ mailing list, I think option 2 is most sensible, while I dislike option 3 much, as one that could create bad blood (via extending cadence) and accusations of hijacking power.
I agree. I think going from a 6 month term to effectively an 18 month term would be viewed as hijacking, but that transition would affect the Council election, and therefore require a referendum IMHO.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: