View Single Post
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Okay, but the phones not being so open isn't anything new.

Maemo 5, not fully open.

Harmattan, not fully open.

Just as long as we don't have to jump through the kind of hurdles that Aegis brought along with it and Jolla allows Mer to be as open to create anything we (the community) wants just like it was on the N900 (Maemo 5), then I see no real problem.

Bring something like Aegis to the table... problem. And if I have to void a warranty to get that freedom, so be it.
(edit: apologies to gerbick for using his post, but his interpretation is really the closest to sanity..)

This entire firestorm really seems to rely on the interpretation of something that can mean many different things and many different methods. Entirely blown too much out of proportion.

You'll have to wait for something offical on twitter, but in essence, it doesn't make much sense that Jolla is taking away freedoms they themselves use and have used to prototype their own systems on devices. Flashing own kernel and own OS and getting to keep both pieces if they break as a principle, is entirely fine with me, for example.

Read everything together in context (both text and target audience) instead of just those lines and things look darned much better.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2012-07-18 at 20:08.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post: