View Single Post
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
N9 was good for <1% of the population (geeks, open source enthusiasts or whatever)
I guess my 65 year old father goes then "or whatever" category, since geek he is in no way, but not either open source enthuasiast. Basically he is machine oriented, but hates computers. Still, I recommended him N9, and after sorting out language problem (he don't have skills for English and for some reason the phone first started using English), and giving some usage tips, he has used the phone quite happily.

The phone notified about firmware upgrade, and he managed to do it without issues. The phone went straight from PR 1.0 to PR 1.3.

He even managed to transfer his contacts via bluetooth from his old S60 phone. Something that looked to be pain in the a** with Lumia when my co-worked told about his experiences (went from S60 to Lumia) and it wasn't possible without company's exchange server.

After couple of days, I texted and asked if dad had any issues with the phone or other things that needs to be solved. He answered: "Hi! No issues, but something to wonder yes... how could Nokia abandon as great phone as this? I have been downloading software from Ovi store, arranged the menus etc. Yesterday I tested the navigation. - - ".

He even replaced the Accuweather applet with Meecast to get weather data in Finnish (I have no clue where he got the idea to do that), and configured it to be visible stand by screen.

So sorry, I have pretty hard time to believe N9 wasn't ready for masses.