View Single Post
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Nokias problem is size. It's too large to sustain selling S40 and S30 devices even though sales are shifting dramatically toward the more expensive S40 devices. It needs to shrink more. Accelerated growth of WP would help of course, but that is not a solution Nokia can live with, it needs to become profitable in it's main business of S30 and S40.
S40 may well be NOKIA's 'main business' now but, lest we forget...
"Elop's Microsoft announcement has effectively bankrupted the Nokia Symbian smartphone unit which made 20% of Nokia phones, generated 30% of Nokia revenues and produced a whopping 40% of Nokia profits when he took over. He killed his cash cow. Voluntarily."
... T. Ahonen

Meltemi proved to be a dead end road, the team couldn't deliver something that was more competitive than S40.
Where's your evidence for that? It seems much more likely Elop's Lord and Master told him he wasn't allowed to play with anything Linux.

S40 gives more bang for the buck than anything out there, and it is selling by the billions, literally, but it is no solution for high end, and it is no solution for Europe or NA. Here the competition is iOS and Android.
The Ashas are more interesting than the Lumias. The Asha 303 looks like it should be a slider, if it was I'd quite like one.

Not only high end, but that is where the profit margins are.
Since dropping Symbian for WP7 NOKIA's gross margin for smartphones has reduced significantly.

Samsung looks unbeatable, but Samsung is no innovator.
Yeah, right...

Lots of people will dislike it, simply because it doesn't fit their blocky, conservative skulls.

WP is somewhat similar. WP7 has limitations, but I tell you, my Lumia is much more fun with new stuff coming all the time than the stale N9.
Say what? What could be more 'blocky' and 'conservative' than WP7? Live Tiles are the blockiest, dullest Plasmoids I've ever seen!