View Single Post
Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
After two years with my 770, and an unhealthy amount of time daydreaming about the N810, I made a decision. I bought a white (they were out of black) 4GB ASUS EEE PC w/webcam and an additional 8GB SDHC card. At $399 CDN the price point blows the N810 out of the water - - they're around $480 up here, more than what I paid after 13% taxes. Another prime motivator for my decision was that the niche the 770 filled for me was primarily about form factor. I already have a pocket internet device, why spend $500 on another one because... it does Flash?

I realize there are other EEE threads here but my purpose with this one is to do a walkthrough of my experiences and how I set it up. I want to compare it directly with my 770 experience. You see, when I bought this, it was never destined to run the default Xandros install. Rather, it's going to get a flavour of Ubuntu on it.

My general first impressions.
- Opening the box, it was pretty sparse inside. Getting Started manual, power adapter, EEE PC, battery, stretchy case/protective cover, and a CD (Windows only, boo!)

- It charged 70% in 40 mins. Battery life expectation is 3.5 hrs on this model.

- Bootup and configuration were a snap and slightly reminiscent of the internet tablets

- The interface strikes me as one meant for a PDA, though it's concise and well laid out (grouped into 4 main application groups/tabs), it seems meant for kids.

- I got online in no time and it offered a similar browsing experience as the internet tablets offer... except I was in full blown firefox.

- Pidgin comes installed by default, and again, was easy to get going.

- The webcam wasn't too bad.

- There's software that will activate applications by voice. Coworkers probably wondered why I was saying "Computer web!" or "Computer Camera!" a lot.

- Bigger screen, same resolution. Really a matter of preference as to which is better, I'd say it depends on the situation.

Overall, the EEE comes with a lot more out of the box and my experiences have been very similar to the tablet thus far. The main difference has been, again, the mini laptop form factor vs the tablet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgecore For This Useful Post: