View Single Post
Originally Posted by arkanoid View Post
PIMs suck big time. Even desktop ones suck. Outlook sucks. Everything else sucks because you cannot implement a feature which whill be lost when you sync to Outlook/Exchange.

The main reason PIMs suck is that they are application-centric. There is "calendar" app,
"address book" app, whatever else. They are very loosely connected, thus reasonable usage patterns cannot be implemented properly. It is all about object data backends and proper presentation. Proper PIM is "outliner" where you can link tasks, people, appointments, documents to some structure which is to be visualized with presentation modules which are seen
as "address book" or "calendar" or "nearby map" or "todo list" or whatever.
Yeah, you kind of lost me there, do you know of any current projects that are equivalent for the desktop so I can get a better idea of what you mean? I always just used the funambol sync application, which for some reason keeps seperating out skype addresses after I merge them back in to any given contact - maybe it and the Linux/Evolution sync app don't see eye to eye - but otherwise works ok.

I appreciate your natural design ethic though. And you're right about certificates, I could never get that to work - I believe it remains an outstanding bug - and so still can't connect to my school's WPA/PEAP setup.