View Single Post
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Northern Italy
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Are those batteries really 2500mAh?
As I said, probably not; Chinese batteries are usually overrated, with very few exceptions. I've used grey Trustfires before, and I've found them to be anywhere from 2 to 2.3Ah (that is, 2000 to 2300mAh) depending on the phase of the moon.

I should mention that Ultrafire are a more known brand, but they cheat a lot more on the stated capacity and actual quality of the cells. I'm a member of the CandlePowerForums board as well, and many users there have conducted extensive testing of Chinese Li-Ion cells; Ultrafires consistently disappoint, but Trustfires have come out as a good bargain-basement choice. They don't have the capacity or durability of Sanyos or Panasonics, but at $3.5 a pop it's a compromise I can make.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Exactly - I suppose it could go as far as you landing on floor, with someone's knee in Your neck (depending on where You live, in UK you have it guaranteed).
I could always just bring my backup phone (unmodified Motorola Droid 2 Global) if simply going on a short vacation; I wouldn't have mobile data anyway, which limits the uses for a smartphone, so I could stomach going back to Android for a few days.

Problems would arise if I were to stay somewhere for a few months... I'd carry the N900 with a normal battery and either backless or with a replacement back casing, but I'd want to carry the big triple-barreled monster at least in the suitcase so I could use it at my destination. What's the proper procedure? Do I go to the security people and say "look, I've got this battery I have to carry with me, but I need you to see it now so you don't think it's something entirely different"?

if You're reading 3Ah battery thread (or my one about custom body replacement), you probably know, that using 2x 18650 is my plan (although, I'm thinking about phillips 3Ah or 3,8Ah ones, resulting in 6Ah or 6,8 Ah, respectively). In my case, I would put them inside body
I doubt there's such a thing as a genuine 3.8Ah 18650. Last I heard the big guys (Sanyo, I think) had just barely managed to make one that held 3Ah, and even that wasn't being sold in great numbers; I'd be surprised if a 3.8Ah 18650 could even be made with consumer-level technology.

I like the idea of a proper body, and if I had a 3D printer I might try to make one, but as it is I'll just slap a square of plastic on the whole thing and call it a day. I just want something else than the bare cells to act as a contact surface and bear possible impacts.

It would be great, if You could measure capacity, either by RC charger, or on device itself (as per link in my signature).
My RC charger only discharges at 1A maximum, but since I used relatively thin wires even that'd probably drop some voltage along the way. I'd have to discharge at 500mA, which would take most of a day. Maybe one day I'll do it, but don't hold your breath.

I'll give a look at the app in your signature.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fallingwater For This Useful Post: