View Single Post
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
The pen from my years old wacom tablet and the pen from my hp convertible both work on the note, and the hp one is much better than both s-pen and wacom.

Anyway, do you know a good pressure sensitive mypaint alternative? does linux on android pass sensitivity values through to mypaint via vnc?
I am currently using ubuntu 12.04 with LXDE via linux on android. In this case I was unable to get the s-pen to draw using mypaint (it still does some other things like I was able to set up a screen capture). On the other hand, I was able to draw by just using my finger. However I did not notice any pressure sensitivity. If someone knows how to get it to work or suggest another stylus to try please do chime in!

Anyways that two strikes against VNC route for Note.

1) s-pen does not work effectively
2) Does not transmit sound

Hopefully another approach can be used in the future.

I did try the sketch mobile app. It is pretty easy to use, perhaps not as feature rich as mypaint but S-pen worked fine and pressure sensitivity seemed adequate (although I'm not an artist!)

EDIT: For the case of Android VNC, I just noticed if you do a long press with the S-pen when in mypaint it does draw! But if you use Jump instead of android VNC the S-pen did not work. However I also tried a different stylus (Bamboo Stylus) and it worked pretty well in mypaint as well as in controlling menus and other programs in Ubuntu using Jump. You have to do a double tap on the screen with the Bamboo stylus to start writing. Still no pressure sensitivity but you can make lines darker by repeatedly writing over an area. I think overall using Jump with the Bamboo stylus was the best experience. Perhaps folks can recommend other stylus brands.

Last edited by mscion; 2012-09-12 at 12:17.