View Single Post
I was one of few people affected by genfstab.awk being overwritten during system-services update, as part of latest CSSU.

Of course, it's completely understandable, that CSSU can't support things like that - while theoretically, for short scripts like genfstab.awk it would be possible to write script-logic that read filesystem mount options, and re-use them in new version of script, but I agree, that it's not feasible.

Hoever, while ago, it was mentioned, that in future version, CSSU may check if script was modified, and if true, abort update. Here is my request - instead of such troublesome approach, couldn't CSSU mimic normal way system updates work in debian world[1] - i.e., when custom changes detected, just warn user, mentioning which files are going to be changed, exactly, allowing to either continue, or abort update?

This way, preventing reboot-loop would be trivial - following current situation's example, I would know that genfstab.awk was changed, so I could open it before rebooting, and redo my custom changes.
---

I hope that this suggestion will meet approval, as it doesn't sound like troublesome to implement (at least, not much more troublesome, than simply aborting update, when change detected). Thanks in advance.

/Estel

[1] In debian world, it's also possible to continue update while keeping old version of file, or to open shell for investigating - but, it's about config files, not scripts, like in our case. Thus, I think that just informing user about whereabouts of changed files, and allowing to continue or abort, should be enough - in our case. Keeping old version of scripts and continuing update sounds like a no-go, as it could result in unpredictable breakage of system functions.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-09-27 at 00:58.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: