Thread: Navit on N900
View Single Post
Originally Posted by quixote View Post
Gaaa. I'm going nuts. As usual. So, I thought Monav might be the solution for what I want which is only to have maps I can access OFFLINE. Downloaded my region, everything fine,

but,

as soon as I turn off wifi, it stops using the map I just downloaded! What the f gives? Why does everything want a connection? When I'm in the back of beyond, there is no connection. I need OFFline maps. How do I get Monav ( or anything) to just give me simple offline maps? You know, as if I had an atlas stored on my n900?
i got the strong impression that you have never really read anything about the software you are attempting to use.

- navit's gui needs to be configured in the navit.xml (or included xml file)
- offline maps have to be downloaded and made known to navit and monav -- if you don't do that, what do you expect to happen?
- monav maps need to be prepared by you, since there's no usable provider -- latest monav available for n900 requires maps more rcent then the ones linked to from the monav hp

btw: monav is imo certainly the way to go. it's faster, it's better and the gui is so much better, that i don't even know, where to start.