View Single Post
KDE is developed by hundreds of people and is an enormous project, we can't just go in and mess around with it to fit the n800. It is designed to be used on large screens on desktops and laptops, it is a hack on the n800. It is very cool to have all this power available on this little device, but I think it will always have to remain a hack.

Anyway, to address some issues,

1. Ya, this is a problem. KDE is only tested at 800x600, so 800x480 doesnt always work well. Maximizing your windows though will usually get them to fit in the screen.

2. Ya, this sucks, but the nav pad works fine, so it is OK.

3. Yes, it would be nice to slim it down, but hte cpu thing on the taskbar for example AFAIK cannot be removed, because it is part of ksysguard. You can however remove it from the taskbar by clicking on it, and then clicking on the tiny tiny arrow that shows up on the top left corner and hitting close.

4. I wonder if it is possible to use the hildon keyboard in KDE. Anyone know a command for it? I dont like the kde keyboard either, but it is nice that it can be resized and hidden and moved around. It would also be nice to get rid of the Fn keys on it, since they just waste space.

5. KDE apps are very large, and since SD cards are very slow compared to hard drives, you get bad performance. Again, KDE is designed for desktops with large and fast hard drives.

7. Yes, it is possible to install linux apps. You can either use kpackage, the Hildon Application Manager or just use apt-get straight from the command line. In addition, running a kde desktop means you can compile programs by yourself. Be prepared for dependency hell though.