View Single Post
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I second what Joerg just said: it's exciting to see the number shoot up, and easy to see it and think 'oh, cool, 1000 usd raised, I'm no longer needed'. But the fact of the matter is that right now people are really aware of the issue of needed funding, so they donate willingly. But naturally, this will taper off, and likely never flow in again like this unless we're close to another infrastructure crisis. So any money that can keep rolling in, will help, if not now then in the months after.
I personally will donate once a proper bank account is available. My plan is to give some amount that would account for (my part of) a year.

However I still see the problem that has been mentioned above. Once the initial rush is over, there's no guarantee that the/enough donations will continue flowing. It would be a major disappointment if after 3 or 4 months the whole system disappears after having donated so much money.

I understand that a donation imposes no obligation of providing a service of any kind. That's why it's called a donation.

But in the context of Maemo, I don't quite see this as a donation, but rather as a collective support, or whatever you want to call it. That is, I want to support with some of my money, but I also want the Maemo infrastructure to stay alive in the long term.

However I don't see any obvious solution to this problem.

One thing that might be worth considering is what we really need. I don't think the autobuilder is necessary for anything. After all, developers usually have/use the SDK, so they there's no point in centrally compiling and packaging what the developer has already compiled and packaged.

Without having the full overview of what Maemo has *now* (would be happy if we were given such an overview), I think we only need the forum, the wiki (because forum posts link to the Wiki, but the Wiki articles could be integrated into a sub-forum anyway) and of course the repositories.

I don't own/rent a server, nor have I any need for that, but I cannot imagine that a few terabytes and the forum system would require so much money.

So I'd like to have a clarification of what exactly we are (or will be) paying for now, and which systems we plan to maintain/remove in the near future.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post: