View Single Post
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Look at the (entirely predictable) consequences. NOKIA have shrivelled to insignificance as a result of Elop opening his star port and allowing Ballmer to dock. It made no sense; the market knew it, the carriers knew it, the retailers knew it, hell even Elop knew it but he had an ulterior motive.

If NOKIA had lost the software 'war' what the hell was the outcome for Microsoft and their laughable little pop-gun? At least Google had got a really big bazooka.

Meanwhile they were totally dominating the rest of the planet - you know, where the overwhelming majority of smartphone buyers live. In Elop's desperate attempt to make NOKIA relevant to America he has surrendered the rest of the planet to Samsung.

To add insult to life-threatening injury Elop didn't even succeed in seducing America, Windows Phone is still an irrelevance even there too.
I think you are missing the point with WP. The idea was to use both desktop and mobile devices to create a powerful ecosystem that will synergize.

I see no difference between google and Android. Both are evil corporate behemoths. So whether Nokia went Android or MS, makes no difference to me. I like the MS wedding as it provided Nokia an opportunity to start from the early build up. I am still long on Nokia, as I think that MS will gain some traction via a combination of ecosystems.

As I said above, both iOS and WP are great devices for the masses.

Now, with regards to your worldwide comment on Nokia. That was the problem. Nokia became a third world manufacturer and was comforted to providing crappy service and products in the third world. But the march of androids and iOS was inevitable and the sweep of Symbian and Meego out of the third world. That was the big Nokia problem: complacent to sell third rate service and products in the Third world and losing competitive battle in more savy markets. So you are wrong on that point too. Instead, Nokia should have strived to be competitive in USA and to learn how to treat their customers well.