View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 3,716 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I admit I'm lost. Until only a few weeks ago, Tizen seemed to be more of a theoretical possibility than a real option. Ubuntu for mobile devices was a long-term strategy rather than an operating system. Jolla/Sailfish looked promising, but still vague.

Now there's an announcement that Tizen will come to real commercial products in 2013, Ubuntu has something real to show, and Jolla claims it will keep its schedule.

My question is: Which is the OS for me? (I'm not asking which will be more successful in the market here.)

I'm looking for a mobile OS that's
  • as open as possible (open development, more GPL than Apache or BSD, hackable)
  • as close to my desktop system as possible, meaning not only the Linux kernel but also the whole playground full of udev, dbus, telepathy, bluez, qt and whatever friends I have met on my gentoo box

While I think I know a bit about Sailfish (because it has the Mer background), there's as good as nothing I know about Ubuntu for phones or Tizen. That makes those three difficult for me to compare.

Are there any experts around that can share some information about the two points that are important to me for the three systems?
As far as I know, Tizen and Firefox OS will be running (only) webapps.
I don't know how open Sailfish will be...
At the moment, I think Ubuntu is the right decision..

Keep in mind that afaik Ubuntu is software only, so you will need a rooted android phone to use it

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post: