View Single Post
I've been using Maemo for a number of years now, but I'm just a regular user, not a developer. I know very little about using Linux of any flavor, and while I appreciate open source software, I'm in no ways a purist. So the following post for me is all about the usability and interaction with the device.

I've used Android a fair amount too. My wife has had an Android for a couple of years now that I use frequently, and I've bought 3 Android phones myself over the years (only to return two of them later because I found them to frustrating to use daily). I mention this just to say that this isn't just a matter of the OS being new to me.

My N800 generally feels like a laptop replacement. It is slow at a lot of tasks these days, and it frequently turns off on its own, but when it is working I generally don't feel the need to go to the laptop to do something since almost everything can be done almost as easily with the NIT.

I have had a Galaxy Note 2 for about a month now, and I distinctly don't feel that way when using it. The phone works great for playing Angry Birds, it works pretty well for internet browsing and/or watching YouTube videos, but actual work like things, like replying to an email are so painful that I postpone almost all of them until I'm at my laptop.

The thing is, I can't really point to any single reason why. There are somethings for sure, like being unable to find a keyboard that really works well, and the fact that copy and paste is awkward and doesn't seem to be universally supported/applied. But it seems more than the sum of these small parts, there is just an overarching feel that you are not using something that was conceptualized as a full featured desktop replacement, and I'm having trouble accepting that.

So any others feel the same way? Any tips from other Maemo users on how to adjust?

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to dylanemcgregor For This Useful Post: