View Single Post
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Welcome to N900 ownership

Owning N900 since 2009, and still using it as my primary (and only) phone, this is a list of what I use on my N900 during normal everyday usage:

- SMS
- Email (2 IMAP accounts plus 1 MS Exchange Server acct, set to check every 15 minutes)
- Full IPv6 support on WiFi and GPRS
- Multiple independent calendars (personal/business/birthdays)
- Connect to company VPN using openconnect
- Connect to my home VPN using OpenVPN
- Web browsing using Opera
- For things like facebook, g+, twitter, etc. I just use the mobile web sites, not specialized apps. I am not a heavy user of any of those, maybe I check them out once a month.
- Listening to music & streaming radio using media player
- Listening to FM radio
- Logging into my desktops using x2go/NX/rdesktop
- ssh into my servers, running X programs remotely displaying on phone if necessary
- Qt Mobile Hotspot to share my cellular internet over USB or WiFi
- Play old games in emulators (and using Game Gripper)
- RSS feeds via gread (Google Reader Client)
- Downloading and listening to Podcasts with gpodder
- IM with Pidgin
- Sometimes an actual voice phone call
- Recaller to record phone calls

I'm using CSSU-thumb and I find most of these things still perform pretty well on N900 even despite its low RAM amount. I use swap on SD (sandisk uhs 64gb).

As far as bugs or annoyances:
- SMS gets corrupted whenever someone sends me a multi-part message, I need to repair the sqlite database and reboot every time this happens. Often need to delete conversation history with that person as well.
- It is generally impossible to answer the phone call if you're using the phone for other things, especially RAM-heavy like web browsing or playing a game. It just can't swap in the phone application fast enough to respond. I basically miss every call received if I'm using my phone already when it rings... I prefer to receive an SMS anyway

Other than those 2 things, everything else works pretty much as expected.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post: