View Single Post
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The hate against Android for multi-tasking is actually an okay thing with me. I find that my usage on Android versus Maemo is radically different. I'm still unsure which one I favor, I liked the tasks running in the background (say music) that works seamlessly while doing another task (say e-mail).

But that already exists for me fully on my Nexus 7 tablet without issue. But the game changer for me has been the recent upswing of two apps at the same time for the Galaxy Note series, also on the SGS3 as well. It's not there on my Nexus 7 yet, but I'm sure it's coming since it's in testing on CM10. But 2 apps isn't multi-tasking... I know.

But at the end of the day, some of the multi-tasking that people want to do on the N900 aren't things I'd call multi-tasking either. Listening to music but no immediately available controls - I have to focus it - isn't ideal in my book. Believe it or not, I think BB10 has shown controls on minimized apps that QNX allows for such interaction. Now that has my attention. The ability to start an app, forget about it and have it finish what I had started in it - Android does that for a lot of apps that I'd consider important to that usage, such as type an e-mail, then send it and then minimize/swap while it sends and blam. It just works. But to have things switch to serial tasking, in some cases it just makes sense.

I'd hate to be playing a game and it continues playing when I answer the phone. I'd hate to be playing music and it continues playing when I answer the phone and I can't stop it quickly enough to hear the phone clearly. I'd hate to be writing an e-mail and switch to the phone and not be able to copy/paste a number from that e-mail (that happens a LOT on WP7, so many places you can/cannot copy paste easily from that OS) and above all... I don't want to try to multi-task between a limited number of apps. That's a problem for the aforementioned Samsung dual-display offering.

Who knows what the future versions of Android? Or BB10? Or Jolla?

But as it stands, Android suits me nearly as well as I need it to. Maemo got closer. But I can't say Android is fully lacking in any department other than a few iOS apps that I'd love to be there on Android too.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: