View Single Post
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Switzerland
I think both need each other. Maemo could need Jolla and Jolla needs a community like it's available here.

When Jolla recently was asked over Twitter what their app source/community would be, they linked to apps.formeego.org which at the moment isn't a very alive community (a visit to their forum confirms that).

Maemo.org (Hildon Foundation) goes through a lot at the moment. But despite all the stress Maemo needs to make even further steps forward.

Jolla is not Maemo & Maemo is a product belonging to Nokia - furthermore it's understandable that Jolla wants to distance themselves from past Nokia products. The community here slowly has to let go from Maemo (or see it as a lower priority) if they want to have support from a company like Jolla. Because this community lives to a certain degree in the past & Jolla won't give money to let us develop Maemo apps.

I remember how MeeGo users first were rejected here in an arrogant way (not by everyone of course!) and how there were complains like "this is a Maemo forum, not a MeeGo one, go over to the MeeGo community". But well... we all know that MeeGo is an offspring of Maemo 5, so those complains never really made sense.

Things changed and fortunately this community became the hotspot for MeeGo devs, users (to a certain degree) & contributors. But IMO it needs a general reorganization and rethinking within the community - especially a clear idea of what the community wants to be (Jolla community, one for Qt devs in general, etc...). If there's a clear plan, the community would be much more attractive to sponsors/supporters or possible investors.

I hope my post is not seen as some kind of criticism... It's definitely not that.

And btw: Jolla's "unlike" slogan also rather bothers me.

The Following User Says Thank You to almamo For This Useful Post: