View Single Post
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
Originally posted in: How many working N900 do you currently own?

Originally Posted by ffha View Post
Three N900.

The cellular connectivity and wifi modules of my first one broke down, so I turned it into a homeserver by hooking up an ethernet adapter and a hard drive, which required some custom cabling to hook it all up together without either the N900 or the hard drive dying because of low power.
It hosts a website, has mpd (hooked up to a big stereo set) and shares content (mostly family photos) from the hard drive with DLNA.

The second one was a fine replacement, but a short while ago the USB broke off and I was unable to solder it back in place, which rendered it incapable of being my day-to-day phone.
I hooked up two BL-5J batteries and a li-ion charger in series to the N900 to keep it charged at all times, shoved it into a small replacement shell and hooked it up to my television set, where it now acts as a retro emulator (mostly PS1, NES, SNES, Genesis).
To control it from the couch, I wrote my own sixaxis control scheme which enables me to control the mouse pointer with the right analog stick (and I added the ability to click, of course, by pressing R3). To actually have a visible mouse pointer, I extracted a program from freemangordon's extmouse and made it run on startup.

The third is my current phone. The fact that it is, saddens me greatly - since the N900, no other phone satisfies my needs. My girlfriend has a Galaxy Note, which is a nice piece of hardware, but she can't even play a music video on YouTube and chat with me at the same time (official YouTube-app) with that thing... "Smartphone".
Looking forward to Jolla breaking the current monopoly that is Android and iOS!

I love the N900 and I actively use all three of mine on a daily basis.

The Following User Says Thank You to ffha For This Useful Post: