View Single Post
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Although i agree with most of the blame Nokia gets from us for their poor, very poor, management, I tend to disagree on that!

1. Google shall make its billions on youtube with content of their users by putting adds on the pages.
2. VP8 is not an open project at all. It was developed behind closed doors by one single company, that google lately bought.
3. VP8 is not GPL licenced, it is just free of charge, and even that is not cemented, but rumored is FRAND usage.
4.You ( atleast, I) could make a strong case for the big "G" is trying to continously gain world domination, by pushing its standards on internet.
5. Their history in dropping projects despite a wide user base is as poor as Nokia's. Just look at the latest reader development.

Nokia vs. Google: There is no 'good' vs. 'bad' in it, just probably much money!

If you are really into it you should read the fosspatents article http://www.fosspatents.com/2013/03/n...p8-patent.html of Florian Mueller, who is kind of 'blamed' in this OSNews article as 'a consultant paid by Oracle and Microsoft', but he is the one to educate them about GPL and stuff.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post: