View Single Post
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
The kernel module and the daemon are IMHO safe to purge. I will actually do that once I get home so I have my spare N900 at hand. I would almost do it now on my "production" N900, but today is one of those days when I really need to be available (it's already enough that I've rmmod'ed the module and stopped the daemon .
Well, I apt-get --purge remove'd iphbd and everything seems to be still OK.

One thing to note is that after powering off and rebooting the N900 seemed to got stuck while booting. After waiting some time I pulled out the battery and tried again with the framebuffer kernel to see if I could spot where the problem was. It booted OK.

[ Note: I had only apt-get remove'd iphbd, so the /etc/event.d/ stuff was still there, even if the daemon had been removed. A cursory look at the scripts indicated no problems with that, but just to be on the safe side I did dpkg -P iphbd to remove all traces ].

Then I rebooted again to KP52 and hildon desktop came up but again Maemo got CPU-stuck. Keyboard backlight (on/off) still worked, and I did manage to turn it off with the power button (I even saw the MCE menu appear).

I happened to remember that I always wanted to remove tracker (on this particular N900), so I did, and since then I've rebooted a few times with no issues.

Conclusion: purge iphbd at your own risk. My N900s are seriously modified so there might be Maemo-stuff that breaks and I couldn't know.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post: