View Single Post
To follow up my post from december, here's an update

So I've never used the n900 I have before and then tried to install arch. I've used archlinux for quite a few years, but still this isn't as easy as I thought as I know too little about the n900 yet. For now I'll stick with maemo and learn about it. I also need all the GUI stuff to make phone calls, write sms etc. from maemo, but I don't have the time to convert all the Maemo packages to PKGBUILDs (altough that would be a really nice project ).

Then I have read about the Thumb2 architecture. I think that this would be great for alarm on n900, too, if someone has the time to rebuild all/most alarm packages with that architecture :> Should save lots of RAM, and with arch it is a lot easier to just rebuild packages (ABS and scripts for ABS!) than in debian/maemo imo.

It's also nice that you can just install chromium from the repos with alarm. This is really messed up in maemo.

But with some luck, I can join the alarm-on-n900 users in the future, when I either have more time or more telephone stuff is ported over and the installation guide gets a bit more detailed (what do you recommend for partitioning? it's easy to break maemo when partitioning :-/ )

I hope that this isn't too much offtopic here, just wanted to throw in my experience so far and a few ideas which might be helpful

I really like this project, keep going everyone!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robotanarchy For This Useful Post: